This two day course is designed for system administrators responsible for deploying and administering multiple Kubernetes cluster distributions with Rancher Server.
The course begins with an introduction to Rancher Server and its architecture. Students will then learn how to access the Rancher Server’s graphical user interface, including Rancher Cluster Manager as well as Rancher Cluster Explorer. In the course an existing Kubernetes cluster will be registered and a new RKE cluster will be provisioned with Rancher Server and then many Kubernetes cluster administrative activities will be introduced. The course also covers Kubernetes cluster management for infrastructure and hosted Kubernetes provider’s deployments in the public clouds.
The course includes presentation about the provisioning and administration capabilities of Rancher Server and extensive hands-on experience with lab exercises.
This course prepares students for the SCA in Rancher Administration exam (once released).
Downloadable course description.
Course Target Release Date: April 2021
Attendees will be taught the following concepts and skills:
- Containers and Orchestration Concepts
- An Introduction to Kubernetes
- The Basics of Kubernetes
- Kubernetes Cluster Administration
- Networking, Storage and Security for Kubernetes
- Helm and Helm Charts
This course is designed for system administrators and others who want to administer Kubernetes.
Delivery Method: Classroom
Course Duration: 2 days
Course Level: Intermediate
Attendees should have familiarity with the Command Line, Linux System Administration skills and attention to details. SUSE Certified Administrator (SCA) in Enterprise Linux or SUSE Certified Linux Engineer (SCE) in Enterprise Linux certification or level of experience recommended.
- Section 1: Course Introduction
- Section 2: Introduction to Containers and Container Orchestration
- Understand Container Concepts
- Understand a Microservice Architecture
- Understand Kubernetes
- Understand SUSE CaaS Platform
- Section 3: Kubernetes Administration
- Understand Basic Kubernetes Commands
- Work with Namespaces
- Understand Kubernetes Manifests
- Understand Multi-pod Deployment
- Work with Deployments
- Configure Networking for Applications
- Use Environment Variables with Applications
- Use ConfigMaps
- Work with Secrets in Kubernetes
- Work with Labels and Selectors
- Configure Node Affinity in Kubernetes
- Scale Out Applications
- Section 4: Application Management in Kubernetes with Kustomize
- Understand Kustomize Concepts
- Manage Applications with Kustomize
- Section 5: Application Management in Kubernetes with Helm
- Understand Basic Helm Concepts
- Manage Applications with Helm
- Section 6: Ingress Networking with an Ingress Controller in Kubernetes
- Work with the Nginx Ingress Controller
- Section 7: Storage in Kubernetes
- Understand Kubernetes Storage Concepts
- Work with Persistent Storage in Storage Classes
- Section 8: Resource Usage Control in Kubernetes
- Understand How to Control Resource Usage in Kubernetes
- Work with LimitRanges
- Work with Resource Quotas
- Section 9: Role Based Access Controls In Kubernetes
- Understand Role Based Access Controls
- Perform User Authentication in CaaS Platform
- Configure RBAC in Kubernetes