Introduction to Containers, Kubernetes, and Red Hat OpenShift (DO180) introduces building and managing Docker containers for deployment on a Kubernetes cluster. This course helps students build core knowledge and skills in managing containers through hands-on experience with Docker, Kubernetes, and Red Hat® OpenShift Container Platform.
This course is based on Red Hat® OpenShift Container Platform 3.9 and Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® 7.5.
[The video classroom version is only available on Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform 3.5 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.]
Course content summary
- Understand container, Docker, and Red Hat OpenShift architecture.
- Create containerized services.
- Manage containers and container images.
- Create custom container images.
- Deploy containerized applications on Red Hat OpenShift.
- Deploy multi-container applications.
As a result of attending this class, students should be able to containerize simple software applications and services; deploy them with Docker, Kubernetes, and Red Hat OpenShift; test the containerized version; and troubleshoot issues with deployment.
One of the key tenets of the DevOps movement is continuous integration and continuous deployment. Containers have become a key technology for the configuration and deployment of applications and microservices. Kubernetes is a container orchestration platform that provides foundational services in Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform.
- Developers who wish to containerize software applications
- Administrators who are new to container technology and container orchestration
- Architects who are considering using container technologies in software architectures
Duration: 3 days
Recommended next exam or course:
- Development track
- Red Hat OpenShift Development I: Containerizing Applications (DO288)
- Design, build, and deploy containerized applications on an OpenShift cluster.
- Administration track
- OpenShift Enterprise Administration (DO280)
- Learn to install, configure, and manage containers.
Red Hat recommends these prerequisites:
- Be able to use a Linux terminal session and issue operating system commands
- Be a Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) or demonstrate equivalent experience
- Have experience with web application architectures and their corresponding technologies
You learn about the benefits of containers, Docker, Kubernetes, and Red Hat OpenShift with our free offering, Deploying Containerized Applications Technical Overview (DO080).
- Course introduction
- Introduce and review the course.
- Get started with container technology
- Describe how software can run in containers orchestrated by Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform.
- Create containerized services
- Provision a server using container technology.
- Manage containers
- Manipulate pre-built container images to create and manage containerized services.
- Manage container images
- Govern the life cycle of a container image from creation to deletion.
- Create custom container images
- Design and code a Docker file to build a custom container image.
- Deploy containerized applications on Red Hat OpenShift
- Deploy single container applications on Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform.
- Deploy multi-container applications
- Deploy applications that are containerized using multiple container images.
- Troubleshoot containerized applications
- Troubleshoot a containerized application deployed on Red Hat OpenShift.
- Comprehensive review of Introduction to Container, Kubernetes, and Red Hat OpenShift
- Demonstrate how to containerize a software application, test it with Docker, and deploy it on a Red Hat OpenShift cluster.
Note: Course outline is subject to change with technology advances and as the nature of the underlying job evolves. For questions or confirmation on a specific objective or topic, contact a training specialist.